Monday, March 16, 2009

Working on Week 6 Post Treatment

I am coming along “detoxing” from treatment. I have noticed an improvement regarding my breathing and the cement block feels as if it has been lifted off my chest. Some colour is returning to my face and brain fog is lifting and my will is telling me to tackle projects, but the body is screaming in protest with sore muscles and joints with the exposure to new activities. The joints and muscles are protesting from being unused for 72 weeks. It was something I expected. It was a great piece of advice from NP not to go at an exercise regime for at least eight weeks. Just getting back into the grind is enough exercise for me. I am happy to report that I wore my knee high support hose yesterday and they didn’t fall down so my calves must be getting some muscle back. (You know you’re skinny when your support knee highs fall down)

A negative aspect is that it’s as if my digestive system has awakened from a coma and it’s giving me extreme grief. On treatment it seemed as if my digestive system shut down and the food just dumped through it. I ate but the weight loss was evident and I expect the digestive system just wasn’t doing its job because of the harsh drugs.

I have had a consistent side pain in the upper right hand side around the rib cage and under the back shoulder blade throughout treatment. It nagged me, but became more evident towards the last eight weeks of treatment. It was a symptom I had to a degree prior to treatment. I did have all the appropriate tests done regarding my gallbladder prior to treatment. It was indicated that it was probably a pulled muscle because I am right handed. (?) It is not a pulled muscle. It’s not the same feeling. It feels as if it’s inside.

The symptom has reared its ugly head with a vengeance since stopping the treatment and after consuming a turkey dinner later one evening this week I experienced severe pain upper right side to the point of vomiting. Being a sucker for punishment I ate a small plate of leftovers the next night and was rewarded with the same extreme pain to the point of vomiting again. The next night I ate cereal for dinner and I didn’t experience the severe pain. The next night towards the early morning I had the same excruciating pain. It seems to last an hour or so and then it subsides. After these “pain fests” I felt as if someone punched the heck out of my insides on the right side. I think I’m a pretty tough cookie (gloat), but these attacks of severe pain are almost intolerable. Tylenol does NOT even put a dent in the pain.

I did email my NP to see if this were a common occurrence coming off tx as I wanted to go to emergency both times I reached the point of vomiting. I didn’t go to local emergency because I’d have to spill out too much information and I’m not willing to do that.

NP will be off work for a week. There is no point in going to my local doc.

Something is very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment