Wednesday, March 11, 2009

End of Treatment - Undetectable :)

Working on Week 5 – Post tx

Nurse practitioner called on March 4 to tell me that my end of treatment blood test came back undetectable for the virus. It had been four weeks since I had it done and I knew it would take a while to get the results. However, I was pleased that it only took four weeks to receive the results.

I’m still in the game so I wait. Renewed hope...

I am pretty battle weary.

I am noticing that my breathing has improved more and more. Yesterday I realized that I seemed to have a bit of brain clarity and the fog is slowly lifting. I have introduced an Omega 3 type supplement into my recovery as I do need my brain to go back to work.

My runny nose symptoms have started to subside the last week.

I had to succumb to using very mild cortisone (over the counter 0.5 mg) cream on my eyelids. I tried for two full weeks to battle this renewed side effect that reared its head following tx. It wouldn’t go away and even though it’s not recommended to use this product near your eyes I had to use it, cautiously, for four days. I applied it sparingly, once in the morning and once at night. It took the edge of it, but I’m not clear of that lingering symptom yet.

Appetite is good and steadily gaining weight.

My skin tone is improving and I don’t think I look as ghastly white as my haemoglobin struggles to recover.

My joints and muscles are SCREAMING with protest regarding my renewed busyness. I know the joint and muscle pain is related to being inactive for 72 weeks and me trying to pick up with living a normal life (without regimented exercise). I was planning to get back into the swing immediately following tx and the nurse practitioner advised me to wait at least eight weeks following tx and she was right on the money with that piece of advice. I thought I could step right back into my regular life and I was so wrong. I have realized that just doing everyday stuff at a faster pace has made my muscles and joints sore and achy just as if I started a new exercise regime.

I ended up car shopping with my brother and my husband. They put me in the back of a Jeep and drove me around the city to car lots. Well, I was pampered up until then. I always sit in the front passenger side and I can usually drop right out of the vehicle (being just under 6 feet I like a higher vehicle to get in and out of). However, being shoved in the back seat was a whole different story for me following 72 weeks of tx. The two men tore out of the car and were at the door of the business while I was still trying to struggle myself out of the back seat. I was like a giraffe stuck and flailing. My muscles screamed in protest and I had no strength to pull myself out. I managed to get out (ungracefully) and my brother was looking at me as if I were the village idiot. It was as if I went to the gym and had a full work out and my muscles and joints screamed for several days following that scenario.

My eyesight problems are starting to diminish. I noticed a difference around week three, but this week it’s much better. I am not provoked into light flashes and pseudo migraine auras when I don’t wear my sunglasses in the house. I only had an estimate of four or five head banger migraines on tx, but I was plagued with the auras that bright light can cause. I would be sent into 20 minutes of whirly shimmering eyesight. Looking out the window, bright computer screen, television, fire place, over head light in a room would set me into these auras. I had to look like a rock star with the sunglasses on in the house all day no matter if it were a sunny day or not. I felt like an idiot.

The only thing that’s scaring me is the fact that I have lingering (sometimes nasty) side pain. It makes some days horrible and other days OK. I expect that it will pass once I purge more of the tx from my system.

1 comment:

  1. The side pain will continue until it stop, sorry I can't be more precise - I still get occasional pangs. You're doing great - any chance of getting a CBC from your GP to check your HgB and ANC?
    Don't even think about rushing back to work - take as much time to recover as you need.

    ReplyDelete